Players and coaches wishing to work toward selection should play through their high school leagues and state championships, then participate in an all-star or travel team attending one of the seven USA Rugby Regional All-Star Tournaments (RAST) throughout late May and June (listed below).
To be considered for selection, a player must have played in their home state’s high school season, and must attend at least one Regional All-Star Tournament. HSAA selectors will be scouting all seven tournaments to select the best boys and girls from every corner of the USA.
The High School All-American Stars vs. Stripes Game will showcase America’s best young rugby athletes on a national stage.
• Once selected for the game, am I considered a HSAA? - Yes, if selected from one of the seven RAST’s, you will be considered a HSAA.
• Can I nominate a player who may not be able to participate in the All-Star Tournament? - Players must participate in one of the RAST events to be selected.
• Can I play in multiple Regional All-Star Tournaments? - Yes, your team can participate in as many RAST events as you would like.
• As a player, how can I ensure that I am seen at the tournaments? - Participation is key. Join a team that is playing at the RAST events and you will be seen by the selectors.
• How do players on the HSAA’s fit into the National pathway? - The High School All-American game and selection is a significant step in the pathway to our National Teams, which for some players will include playing for the Junior or Collegiate All-American teams and/or participating in the Olympic/Eagle Development Program.
• Will there be spots for alternates? - Yes, alternates will be named.
• How soon after the RAST will I be informed of selection? - All players will be notified by June 19, 2013 if they have been selected as HSAA and invited to the High School All-Americans Stars vs. Stripes Game.
• Are there any other tournaments or events in which selectors will be looking at players? - Selectors will only be choosing players from the RAST events for the High School All-American Stars vs. Stripes Game. This process streamlines the pathway and allows players and coaches a clear path for selection.
• What other fixtures will the HSAAs be involved with after the High School All-American Stars vs. Stripes Game (i.e. Tours, matches, etc.)? - The High School All-American Stars vs. Stripes Game is a showcase of our best players in a domestic game. There is potential for tours with the Women’s and Men’s HSAA teams in the future.
• Are there national eligibility rules that we must abide by? Will all RASTs have the same eligibility standards? - All RAST events will have the same high school-only eligibility, including boys and girls brackets, and be attended by scouts for the HSAAs. All players will be high school students, up to graduating seniors.
• Where do I find my all-star team to try out? - To find your local state organization please visit: usarugby.org/sro
• Who will coach the High School All-American Stars and Stripes teams? - Two coaches will be named for each Stars and Stripes teams, chosen from the pool of coaches participating in the RAST events. The HSAA Staff will choose these coaches.
USA Rugby All-American Sponsors
USA Rugby would like to thank AIG for their sponsorship of the Girls High School All-Americans, Men’s & Women’s Junior All-Americans and the Men’s & Women’s Collegiate All-Americans.
USA Rugby would also like to thank Aircraft Charter Solutions for their sponsorship of the Boys High School All-American program.
USA RUGBY REGIONAL ALL STAR TOURNAMENTS:
Tournament: New England Challenge Cup
Dates: June 15-16, 2013 (Both Men & Women’s Brackets)
Location: Devens, MA. Recreation Center
Contact: Chris St. Onge; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament: Challenge Cup
Dates: June 15-16, 2013 (Both Men & Women’s Brackets)
Location: Pittsburgh, PA. Founder’s Field
Contact: Kurt Mockenhaupt; email@example.com
Tournament: Midwest All-Star Challenge
Dates: June 8-9, 2013 (Both Men & Women’s Brackets)
Location: Elkhart, IN. Moose Rugby Grounds
Contact: Bart Bottorff; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament: South RAST
Dates: June 15 & 16. (Men & Women)
Location: Life University
Contact: Dan Payne; email@example.com
Host: Northern California Youth Rugby Association
Tournament: Pacific Coast All-Star Tournament
Dates: May 25-26, 2013. (Men & Women)
Location: San Francisco, CA. Treasure Island
Contact: John Riddering; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament: Great Northwest Challenge
Dates: June 15-16 (Men & Women)
Location: South Pugent Sound, WA
Contact: Chris Nesmith; email@example.com
Tournament: Rocky Mountain Challenge
Dates: June 14-16. (Men & Women)
Location: Aurora, CO. Aurora Sports Park
Contact: Geoff Calhoun; firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact USA Rugby National Teams Administrator Nick Tricarico email@example.com.
Register here: 2013 Life U High School Rugby Camps
From Coach Rock:
I need your support. Rugby Texas needs your support. Sunday, March 25th from 10am to 2pm we begin a new era in youth rugby. The idea of an Academy School is to support, nourish and promote our great sport to the young. I came up with idea because when I first started playing I had no idea that a higher level of rugby was available. And, when I did find out I didn’t think it was possible. But it was there and it was accessible. I didn’t want what happened to me to happen to others. Now I have a chance to make a difference, and so do you!
The premise of the school is to provide these kids with the chance to play at a higher level. The more players we have attending the more we can do. It benefits everyone. From the 3 schools we will develop the teams that will represent each region in a tournament. At the tournament the HPP team(s) will be selected, or at least players will be invited for a trial.
What you can do is to tell all the players about the schools. You can also encourage them to attend if they want to play at a higher level. You can assist the Academy Leads with your knowledge by helping to coach or just assist with the schools.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to call your Academy Lead:
North-Joe Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org (469)8920-8081
South-Ed Brown email@example.com (713)869-5585
Central (temporary)-Bill Taute firstname.lastname@example.org (512)940-0666
Again, I can’t stress enough the importance of you promoting the schools to your team. We can’t do this without you. Please help us help our youth!
Copy & paste & send it to your area coordinator.
North: Joe Kelly
South: Ed Brown
Central: Bill Taute